Office worker in her mid 30s has been trying to conceive naturally without success for over two years. She had been taking the combined contraceptive pill for ten years previously. The patient has a fairly healthy diet and lifestyle. She had difficulty dealing with family issues which had affected her sleep and menstruation. There is no excess hair grown and weight gain in her case.
|Acupuncture for polycystic ovary syndrome, image source|
- Insomnia, patient had difficulty falling and staying asleep. Wakes up frequently in the early hours
- Irregular menstrual cycle ranging from no bleed for up to two months and two periods within a month, passing dark blood clots
- No signs of any mid-cycle discharge or ovulation
- Mood swings
Treatment and advice
Patient received weekly acupuncture and was referred for counselling sessions to help manage her feelings from family affairs. Patient was suggested to start a period log to record dates, quality and associated symptoms.
- Her sleep was greatly improved and could sleep through undisturbed
- Her menstrual cycle gradually formed a pattern to every 6-8 weeks
- Blood clots faded away
- Signs of mid-cycle ovulation became more and more prominent. Quality of the discharges had also improved which indicated increased fertility
- She was able to deal with family issues in a calmer manner
- By end of September, she found herself pregnant and delivered a healthy baby boy in the following Spring!
Acupuncture for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Acupuncture treats Polycystic Ovary Syndrome by adjusting hormone imbalance and treating associated symptoms. It helped to improve uterine blood flow and stimulate ovulation. In this case, psychological issues was tackled at the same time to form a holistic approach to treatment. I recommend all my patients to start a period log which tells a lot about how their body is functioning and track progress of treatment. It also provides valuable clinical information should they decided to start IVF treatments in future.
If you would like further information on this blog or to discuss any conditions you would like to be treated, please do not hesitate to contact me via email email@example.com.